(1) Development of an airport or unit of an airport that is safe, useful, and usable; or,
(2) An additional facility that increases the safety, usefulness, and usability of an airport.
(b) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a project for airport development must involve more than $25,000 in United States funds.
(c) The development included in a project for airport development must—
(1) In the opinion of the Administrator, be “airport development” as defined in §152.3;
(2) Be identified as airport development in the mandatory standards incorporated into this part by §152.11; and
(3) Be described in an approved airport layout plan.
(d) The airport involved in a project for airport development must be included in the current NASP.
(e) In complying with paragraph (a) of this section, the sponsor must—
(1) Own, acquire, or agree to acquire control over, or a property interest in, runway clear zones that the Administrator considers adequate; and
(2) Provide for approach and runway lighting systems satisfactory to the Administrator.