(b) Except for §§99.7, 99.13, and 99.15 this subpart does not apply to the operation of any aircraft-
(1) Within the 48 contiguous States and the District of Columbia, or within the State of Alaska, on a flight which remains within 10 nautical miles of the point of departure;
(2) Operating at true airspeed of less than 180 knots in the Hawaii ADIZ or over any island, or within 12 nautical miles of the coastline of any island, in the Hawaii ADIZ;
(3) Operating at true airspeed of less than 180 knots in the Alaska ADIZ while the pilot maintains a continuous listening watch on the appropriate frequency; or
(4) Operating at true airspeed of less than 180 knots in the Guam ADIZ.
(c) An FAA ATC center may exempt the following operations from this subpart (except §99.7) on a local basis only, with the concurrence of the U.S. military commanders concerned, or pursuant to an agreement with a U.S. Federal security or intelligence agency:
(1) Aircraft operations that are conducted wholly within the boundaries of an ADIZ and are not currently significant to the air defense system.
(2) Aircraft operations conducted in accordance with special procedures prescribed by a U.S. military authority, or a U.S. Federal security or intelligence agency concerned.
[Doc. No. 25113, 53 FR 18217, May 20, 1988, as amended by Amdt. 99–14, 53 FR 44182, Nov. 2, 1988; 66 FR 49822, Sept. 28, 2001; 69 FR 16755, Mar. 30, 2004]