(a) Each Certificate of Aircraft Registration issued by the FAA under this subpart is effective, unless suspended or revoked, until the date upon which—
(1) Subject to the Convention on the International Recognition of Rights in Aircraft when applicable, the aircraft is registered under the laws of a foreign country;
(2) The registration is canceled at the written request of the holder of the certificate;
(3) The aircraft is totally destroyed or scrapped;
(4) Ownership of the aircraft is transferred;
(5) The holder of the certificate loses his U.S. citizenship;
(6) 30 days have elapsed since the death of the holder of the certificate;
(7) The owner, if an individual who is not a citizen of the United States, loses status as a resident alien, unless that person becomes a citizen of the United States at the same time; or
(8) If the owner is a corporation other than a corporation which is a citizen of the United States—
(i) The corporation ceases to be lawfully organized and doing business under the laws of the United States or any State thereof; or
(ii) A period described in §47.9(b) ends and the aircraft was not based and primarily used in the United States during that period.
(9) If the trustee in whose name the aircraft is registered—
(i) Loses U.S. citizenship;
(ii) Loses status as a resident alien and does not become a citizen of the United States at the same time; or
(iii) In any manner ceases to act as trustee and is not immediately replaced by another who meets the requirements of §47.7(c).
(b) The Certificate of Aircraft Registration, with the reverse side completed, must be returned to the FAA Aircraft Registry—
(1) Within 21 days in the case of registration under the laws of a foreign country, by the person who was the owner of the aircraft before foreign registration;
(2) Within 60 days after the death of the holder of the certificate, by the administrator or executor of his estate, or by his heir-at-law if no administrator or executor has been or is to be appointed; or
(3) Within 21 days of the termination of the registration, by the holder of the Certificate of Aircraft Registration in all other cases mentioned in paragraph (a) of this section.
[Doc. No. 7190, 31 FR 4495, Mar. 17, 1966; 31 FR 5483, Apr. 7, 1966, as amended by Amdt. 47–20, 44 FR 61940, Oct. 29, 1979; Amdt. 47–28, 73 FR 10667, Feb. 28, 2008]