(1) Be approved for mounting on the engine involved and use the provisions on the engines for mounting; or
(2) Have torque limiting means on all accessory drives in order to prevent the torque limits established for those drives from being exceeded; and
(3) In addition to paragraphs (a)(1) or (a)(2) of this section, be sealed to prevent contamination of the engine oil system and the accessory system.
(b) Electrical equipment subject to arcing or sparking must be installed to minimize the probability of contact with any flammable fluids or vapors that might be present in a free state.
(c) Each generator rated at or more than 6 kilowatts must be designed and installed to minimize the probability of a fire hazard in the event it malfunctions.
(d) If the continued rotation of any accessory remotely driven by the engine is hazardous when malfunctioning occurs, a means to prevent rotation without interfering with the continued operation of the engine must be provided.
(e) Each accessory driven by a gearbox that is not approved as part of the powerplant driving the gearbox must—
(1) Have torque limiting means to prevent the torque limits established for the affected drive from being exceeded;
(2) Use the provisions on the gearbox for mounting; and
(3) Be sealed to prevent contamination of the gearbox oil system and the accessory system.
[Doc. No. 4080, 29 FR 17955, Dec. 18, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 23–14, 38 FR 31823, Nov. 19, 1973; Amdt. 23–29, 49 FR 6847, Feb. 23, 1984; Amdt. 23–34, 52 FR 1832, Jan. 15, 1987; Amdt. 23–42, 56 FR 354, Jan. 3, 1991]
NEXT: Sec. 23.1165 - Engine ignition systems.
PREVIOUS: Sec. 23.1157 - Carburetor air temperature controls.